Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yael Naim's got soul!


What better way to kick off my new blog than with a fun song I just discovered called "New Soul." I first heard it in the premiere commercial for the new MacBook Air:



The song is by Yael Naim, an artist that has increasingly impressed me over the last couple of days with her beautiful vocals, musical and instrumental versatility, and vibrant imaginative spirit. On top of that, she even sings some of her songs in Hebrew! Her video for "New Soul" (in English) is a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out:



Is it any surprise that she has roots in Paris? (By the way, some of her songs are in French as well.)

At the moment, you can download the song legally over at Aurgasm, a wonderful site for exploring new music -- don't wait too long though, as these free offers are typically only temporary. If you listen to the other song available there for download, "Pachad", you'll discover that her music isn't always so happy either.

A couple other songs from YouTube, "Puppet" and "Paris," help to further show the diversity of her musical interests:





With a sound reminding me at times of Feist or Regina Spektor, yet a style still very much her own, I expect great things from Yael Naim and I can't wait to get her 2007 self-titled album.

UPDATE: I just came across an interesting story on her background: "Cinderella Song". Apparently, among other things, her recent eponymous album is one of the top selling records in France right now.


No comments: